Sunday, June 10, 2012

Declaration to Society

I’ve said it once or twice. Maybe I’m closing in on a dozen times. But, here it is again: I am a writer. I tell stories. I dream in dialogue. And the Day 1 Habits of Great Writers Challenge was to tell someone that you are afraid to, or that might judge you. I didn’t have someone particular in mind, so I decided to declare it to society.

I made a sign, and embarked on a journey to campus. I enlisted my awesome boyfriend, Josh, to assist as photographer. At first, I was weary of the sign I carried around in public. I wanted to roll it up or at least fold it so no one would see. But, what’s the point in that?

It was tough as I posed with my sign. I wanted no one to be around, but I understood that wasn’t the point of the declaration. As we ventured into more trafficked areas of campus, I began to feel more comfortable carrying a sign that said, in colorful bold print: “I am a writer.”

Here’s my photo journey:
 

Just across the street from the parking garage, there is one of IU’s great antiquey clocks.


The Showalter Fountain: A mother from a tour group walked around to read my sign. My introverted self explained in short.


Stop! I’m a writer!

In front of the IMU, blocking one of the gated entrances.

No one needs to know what the sign underneath says. Except it might prevent a few crashes. Okay, I won’t leave mine there permanently.

It was such a beautiful day!

Woodburn Hall, where I spent a good portion of my time on campus.



Close-up.


Lost in the woods, or in my imagination.


And there’s my journey. Maybe I didn’t approach anyone (I’m still quite shy), but I didn’t mind the tour groups and their watchful eyes. I didn’t care if all the people walking by judged me. (Except the one time I held the sign upside down for a photo. That was a little embarrassing.) But, by the end, I was proud of my sign.



And that's what it's all about: being proud of who you are. 

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could have gone on that little photo shoot, too! It looks like fun, and I totally feel you when it comes to having introverted/hoping-you-blend-in-and-nobody-will-notice-you tendencies and having to force yourself out of that comfort zone. Hope you feel a little bolder and a little more inspired now that your declaration is official!

    ReplyDelete