Sunday, March 17, 2013

One Lucky Day


Today is my birthday. (Please, no singing.) That is correct, I am a red-head* born on St. Patrick’s Day. Everyone always thinks/assumes that I’m Irish. Although I have a fascination with Ireland and Celtic history, the truth is I have very little Irish blood. (I’m mainly Belgian.) Either way, I’ve always celebrated St. Patrick’s Day because it’s my birthday, and fusing the two together has always been enjoyable.

When one thinks of St. Patrick’s Day, they think of leprechauns, pots of gold at the end of rainbows and merrily wishing each other “Good Luck!”
 
      luck        noun \ˈlək\
      a: a force that brings good fortune or adversity
      b: the events or circumstances that operate for or against an individual


Luck is a finicky thing. It can be good or bad. It’s a combination of ability, opportunity, good timing and coincidence. Some may consider it lucky that I was born on St. Patrick’s Day with red hair. It’s more coincidence. One may think it is good luck they beat the crowd at the coffee shop. It’s more good timing.
 

      “Luck is preparation meeting opportunity. If you hadn't been prepared when the opportunity came along, you wouldn't have been 'lucky.” –Oprah Winfrey


When events out of one’s control go well or badly, luck can be thanked or cursed. Usually, these events can be attributed to someone’s own ability, choices or even opportunity. Don’t get me wrong, I am a believer in luck. However, true good luck is rare. (As, hopefully, true bad luck is.) When you encounter it, make sure you take it for what it is, and thank your lucky stars.

Wishing everyone a lucky St. Patrick’s Day!

Just for fun, here are a couple Irish-themed YA books:



 
*Please Note: I am not a ginger.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Good to see you recently. The Mrs asks how The Madness Underneath is going, she read it recently, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I had a great one! And I enjoyed The Madness Underneath, just finished it. It was a solid read, but not quite unputdownable. It was good to see you as well. Hope to visit again soon!

    ReplyDelete