Sunday, April 14, 2013

MORE Teen Books-to-Movies 2013 & Beyond

The quest to discover the next great teen book-to-movie blockbuster continues! Last October I discussed five movies, some which have since been released and some which are still months away from gracing the screen. But five movies is barely the tip of the iceberg when it comes to YA books that are being made into movies, especially if we consider those in development. However these five teen flicks are more of a sure thing and will be coming to a theater near you soon(ish)!   


Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters
Release Date: August 7, 2013                      Status: Post-Production
In order to restore their dying safe haven, the son of Poseidon and his friends embark on a quest to the Sea of Monsters to find the mythical Golden Fleece and to stop an ancient evil from rising.
Why I’m Excited:
Okay, so maybe excited isn’t the right word for my feelings toward this movie. Curious and intrigued would be better descriptions since I was underwhelmed with the movie version of Lightening Thief. Even though I’m surprised Sea of Monsters got the green light, I enjoyed the first one enough to continue on. Also, I adore that Nathan Fillion is playing Hermes!
*My Viewing Choice: Redbox


Catching Fire
Release Date: November 22, 2013            Status: Post-Production
Katniss and Peeta are dethroned from their respective victory riches and are put back into the arena for the most climatic and menacing of the Hunger Games, known as the Quarter Quell.
Why I’m Excited:
Because the first movie didn’t disappoint at all (for me). I’m thrilled/anxious/waiting impatiently for the sequel, and still wishing it wasn’t due out 7 months from now (20 months after Hunger Games was released!). I’m excited for the hype of the Quarter Quell, the beginnings of the revolution and more of the Katniss-Peeta-Gale love triangle. But seriously, the Harry Potter movies only got better as they progressed so I’m wishing/hoping/praying the same will be true for Hunger Games.
My Viewing Choice: 3D Theater


The Book Thief
Release Date: January 17, 2014                  Status: Filming
While subjected to the horrors of WWII Germany, young Liesel finds solace by stealing books and sharing them with others. Under the stairs in her home, a Jewish refuge is being sheltered by her adoptive parents.
Why I’m Excited:
Because the book is narrated by Death, and I’m curious to see how that is translated to the big screen. It has the potential to be masterful, eerie yet intriguing. In my imagination, a movie version of this book would be a cross between Spielberg’s Schindler’s List and Scorsese’s Hugo, which I can only hope will be close to the truth. It should be timeless yet imaginative.
My Viewing Choice: Matinee or Budget Theater


Vampire Academy: Blood Sisters
Release Date: February 14, 2014               Status: Pre-production
Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, half human/vampire, guardians of the Moroi, peaceful, mortal vampires living discretely within our world. Her legacy is to protect the Moroi from bloodthirsty, immortal Vampires, the Strigoi. This is her story.
Why I’m Excited:
Because even though vampires may be passé, I’m anxious to see how they will be portrayed in this movie and who is willing to take the risk in the post-Twilight scene. This series is quite popular, and the movie version has potential depending on the trailer and marketing. It could be a cult classic, or it could fall by the wayside (like, say, Beautiful Creatures).
My Viewing Choice: Redbox
 

The Maze Runner
Release Date: February 14, 2014               Status: Pre-production
Set in a post-apocalyptic world, young Thomas is deposited in a community of boys after his memory is erased, soon learning they're all trapped in a maze that will require him to join forces with fellow "runners" for a shot at escape.
Why I’m Excited:
Because it’s a dystopian book that I devoured, and I’m glad to have discovered that it’s nearing production! Full of mystery, the book was unputdownable for me and I’m especially glad that the author James Dashner is one of the screenplay writers. However, I am curious in regards to its release date, which is just a month before another teen dystopian book-turned-movie, Divergent. There may be a showdown heading our way.
My Viewing Choice: Theater


*Even though I would love to see all of these in theaters, movie ticket prices don’t coincide with my budget. Therefore I’ve decided to add a section to give an easy describer of how important each movie is to me by how much I’m willing to spend to see it. (I should note these are the average prices I’ve come across in Indiana.)
3D Theater: $15                                        
Theater: $10
Matinee or Budget Theater: $5                                 
Redbox: $2


Please Note: The movie descriptions are courtesy of IMDB.

No comments:

Post a Comment