Sunday, October 20, 2013

Teen Books-to-Movies 2014

With the release of Catching Fire next month, I thought I’d dive back into the teen book-to-movie realm. Here are four more YA books that will be movies in 2014! And don’t forget to check out my previous posts on teen books-to-movies (last OctoberApril), as some I’ve highlighted previously (such as the much anticipated Divergent) are not out yet!

 

Seventh Son (published as Last Apprentice)
 
Release Date: January 17, 2014          Status: Post-Production

An 18th century adventure story centered on young Thomas, who is apprenticed to the local Spook to learn to fight evil spirits. His first great challenge comes when the powerful Mother Malkin escapes her confinement while the Spook is away.

Why I’m Excited:

Because this movie adaption flew under my radar, and I’m surprised to learn its release is almost upon us! Even though I haven’t read this series, I’m sure it’s something I would like and the cast line-up is definitely something I like. Ben Barnes was particularly intriguing (read = HOT) as Prince Caspian, and I’m excited to see him as the hero of this tale. Also starring in this fantasy flick are Julianne Moore and Jeff Bridges. Even though the trailer is a little over-the-top for my taste, the effects look great and the story interests me enough to get me to the theater.

 

The Fault in Our Stars

Release Date: June 6, 2014          Status: Filming

Hazel and Gus are two teenagers who share an acerbic wit, a disdain for the conventional, and a love that sweeps them on a journey. Their relationship is all the more miraculous given that Hazel's other constant companion is an oxygen tank, Gus jokes about his prosthetic leg, and they met and fell in love at a cancer support group.

Why I’m Excited:

Because I’ve been following John Green’s videos (via Vlogbrothers) and his tweets from TFIOS set! This is by far the movie I’m most looking forward to in 2014, and not just because of the fantastic cast (Is Shailene Woodley the teen book-to-movie sweetheart or what?) but also because of the involvement of the author and the care of the crew. Even though I’m unsure the movie will live up to the awesomeness of the book, it certainly has the potential! I’ll be heading to the theater soon after its release!

 

The Giver

Release Date: August 15, 2014          Status: Filming

In a seemingly perfect community, without war, pain, suffering, differences or choice, a young boy is chosen to learn from an elderly man about the true pain and pleasure of the "real" world.

Why I’m Excited:

Because this book was monumental for me growing up, and I’m hoping the movie adaption will be mystical yet simple. The Giver was my first dystopian book, before I even know what dystopia was. I have to admit I’m skeptical about Taylor Swift, but the rest of the cast (Meryl Streep, Katie Holmes, Jeff Bridges, Alexander Skarsgard) is full of star power. I have high expectations for this one, and I hope they are not dashed when I make the trip to the theater!

 

If I Stay

Release Date: 2014          Status: Pre-production

A chronicle of a fatal car accident involving 17-year-old musician Mia and her boyfriend.*

Why I’m Excited:

Because this book is unconventional in its plot, so I’m intrigued to see how it will translate on screen. It could be wonderful, or it could go the way of other teen book-to-movie flops. Of course I’m hoping it’s the former, because I love this novel (and everything else Gayle Forman’s written). Chloe Grace Moretz is signed on to star as Mia, which will put some force behind it as filming begins. I’m curious to see who is cast as Adam, as that is currently not listed on IMDB. It’s too early to tell, but assuming this hype is there and the trailer is decent, I will head out to the theater for this one!

 
 
 Please Note: The movie descriptions are courtesy of IMDB.

* This description is not an accurate representation of the book’s plot, and therefore I’m guessing it will not be accurate for the movie. However I’m sure when more information is available regarding this adaptation, IMDB will be updated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment