Sunday, January 5, 2014

My Writing Goals for 2014

My list of goals for 2014 is long. Like one whole Word document long.

Why? You ask. I must be INSANE. Well, it’s not about finishing them all, per say. (Though that’d be pretty awesome if I did.) It’s about having something to work toward in every aspect of my writing life.

Last year, I wanted two things (finish my WIP and publish a short story). Neither of which I accomplished. I’m a little frustrated with myself, even though I did a lot last year. In 2013, I rewrote my WIP, became a repeat NaNoWriMo winner, read 64 books, signed up for a writing course (though I’m still working on finishing it) and hit 500 Twitter followers (on the last day of the year).

However none of those things were on my list for 2013, which is why this year I’m being more thorough. Goals for EVERY SINGLE aspect of my writing life. Here are some of the highlights:
  1. Finish editing the draft of my WIP. Send to beta readers by summer. (This is the big one. The kahuna. If I do this and none of the others, I’ll be one happy writer girl.)
  2. Read over 60 books. (Because books are the BEST.)
  3. Re-read Harry Potter. (It’s been too long since this has happened.)
  4. Keep posting here! (I’ll hit my two year anniversary in May and my two year anniversary of posting every week in September!)
  5. Interact with more YA authors/readers/bloggers on Twitter/Tumblr/blogs. (I want to get to know you ALL and hear about what you’re writing/reading.)
  6. Write WIP sequel in NaNoWriMo 2014. (Yeah this is almost a year away, but that’s where I want to be by November—ready to write my SECOND book.)

Having such an extensive list will likely mean some of the goals will go unaccomplished, but hopefully I will take strides toward each of them. And I’m already craving the day in early 2015 when I can say I accomplished three or five or even ALL of my 2014 goals! 

Here’s to a happy, healthy 2014, full of words and coffee and heroines and… well, I could go on forever. Here’s to 2014!

3 comments:

  1. Once your book's edited, I can design a cover for it, and/or interiors, if you would like. You get the Friend of JauntWorld Discount—100% free!

    Good luck on your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Erik! And I appreciate the offer! It would blow my mind if I'm ready for design this year, so I'll keep that in mind for 2015 and beyond! Hope you have a great day! (I know I will--my store's closed today due to the snow!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome! Yep, stayed home on Monday, braved it today. I think you guys up north got more snow than we did, though.

    Have fun editing.

    ReplyDelete